REFLECTOR: Oil Cooler

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 25 08:38:00 CDT 2005

Sometimes it's hard to participate in these discussions as I am not an
engineer.

When building my cabin heater, I used an automotive transmission cooler for
the heat exchanger.  The burst pressure was rated at 350 psi.  That seemed
fine.  It was not as sturdily constructed as the Aviation oil cooler.  The
cooling fins were far more fragile.  This seemed fine for me as I was going
to use it for recirculation cabin air.  I would have been more concerned if
I was going to have it outside.  My thought was that hitting a bunch of
large bugs at 200 mph (and I have run into them at 5000 ft) might be a
problem.  Or it could be over time...

We all have been driving down the highway in the summer with the windows
down, arm out the window, playing with the slipstream, when you unexpectedly
catch a bug in your hand.  It can leave a welt at 70 mph.  I wouldn't even
want to know what it would be like to catch a bug at 200.

I would not have used this unit for an exterior application.  I don't know
what dynamics come into play for a wing root cooler.

I'm not an engineer, so I'm sure my Pampers are showing.  Just stuff I was
thinking about.

Andy