REFLECTOR: Automotive / aviation ignition harness

wurzel at alumni.caltech.edu wurzel at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Oct 23 12:22:01 CDT 2005

> The nice thing about auto plugs is that I can experiment with the heat
> ratings.  I'd have to install the 14mm to whatever adapter.
>
> The nice thing about aviation plugs ... well they fit the hole.  I'll
> then have to make hybrid auto/aviation wires.

After my second magneto failure, I installed a Lightspeed
Plasma II in place of one mag on my Franklin.  It has a similar
wasted spark system, and uses some long-reach auto (actually,
seem like motorcycle) plugs.

Klaus supplied the spark plug adapters with the kit, so if you
want to try that route and don't have another source, he might
sell some to you as long as you don't mention that you didn't
buy his ignition.  ;-)

As far as the performance, I haven't noticed a major difference
between the auto plugs and the Champion Iridiums that are on
the remaining mag, but I only have about 30 hours on the system
so far.  I was also somewhat concerned about interference from using
unshielded wire and having big loops, but I just made sure to
run my wires very close together in pairs until they get
all the way to the engine block, then run them to the
specified cylinder.  I was hoping to minimize the "loop area"
so it would be as small of an antenna as possible.

Again, only 30 hours on the system but I haven't noticed any negative
effects on my radios or other electronics.

I was also thinking of "roll-your-own" shielding by wrapping aluminum
tape around the wires Klaus supplied....  :-)