REFLECTOR: NACA scoops

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Oct 19 20:28:53 CDT 2005

Here is an extract from
an  old NACA report that appears to take the position that submerged (NACA?)

ducts are not the best suited for radiators or anything requiring much
diffusion or pressure recovery. Unfortunately,  I don't have the full report

but the report number is listed on the summary below if you wish to try and
find it.   Any extract can be misinterpreted taken out of the context of the

total report - but, it seems to take a position.  Also while NACA ducts may
not be the BEST possible for our type airspeeds and radiators - there are
always other factors to consider in trying to fit systems to aircraft -
space, location,weight, possible inlet locations, etc, etc.  So while the
NACA ducts may not be the best possible solution for a theoretical
installation, its other attributes may make it a good choice.

A comprehensive discussion of NACA inlets, vortexes and
boundary layer -

http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1951/naca-tn-2323/