REFLECTOR: NACA scoops

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Oct 19 19:42:33 CDT 2005

I should clarify that my remarks were not directed specifically at Kurt, but
meant to get the attention of anyone considering liquid cooled engines.  I
knew that Kurt has a bit more scoop and the boost cooler, and he has rung
things out pretty thoroughly.  I sincerely hope that his setup proves
sufficient, and that mine is a bit over cooled.  The single most common
problems with auto conversions that I am aware of have to do with inadequate
cooling; and the laws of physics regarding the heat carrying capability of
air have not yet been repealed.

I have also done some Indy car research, and they do not use those numbers
either. As you know they run hard.. fast.. hot.. and have limited space to
deal with.

Fast is important - 240 mph air coming in a ram scoop. We have our highest
power requirements at 100 mph slower.

One last thing... I am not cooling it with water. Im using Evans cooling
fluid. Al has questions about this too... but I did quite a bit or research
and it seems to work well in High HP systems.

The Evan's coolant can definitely increase heat rejection and require less
air flow because of the higher rad temps allowed.  The issues are the higher
viscosity and pumping power, and lower specific heat and thermal
conductivity.  Pumping power isn't much of an issue when you've got over
300hp to work with.  The other things aren't necessarily a problem;
depending on engine design and coolant flow rate.  Evans coolant has not
been proven in rotarys at high power, so I decided the risks were too great.
One rotary guy switched to Evans; then switched back to water.

How is your beast coming?

It's basically ready to fly; and if it was at an airport it probably would
be.  But since it is still home in my shop, I decided to complete interior
and exterior finish while it is close by in controlled environment.
Interior is completed (except for the seats which the upholstery shop can't
seem to get right).  I'm doing final priming and sanding now; and it's one
of those jobs that I don't know when I'm finished.  There is always one more
imperfection to repair, sand, prime, sand, etc.  Those who have done their
paint jobs will know what I mean.

I know one thing for sure:  When we get Al's. Dennis's and my bird in the
air we should have a fly-in somewhere for all the "alternative power source"
Velocities. In addition to being very interesting... it will sound AMAZING!

I am counting the days!!

Best,

Al