REFLECTOR: NACA scoops

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Oct 19 10:57:35 CDT 2005

polite and subtle?? Are there two Scott Derricks' on this list?? :-)

I bought the premolded NACA's and ducts from the factory. I got the
large size to accomodate the large engine, and they fit fine in my Std
airframe.

I'm glad I got the pre-molded stuff. I have enough tasks(never ending)
in my limited 1 to 2 days a week of working on the plane. They are
relatively inexpensive and easy to install. I of course didn't have the
premolded markings and indentations in the fuselage, but it was a simple
task to make a template from the NACA's to transfer to the fuselage and
firewall for cutting the holes out. I should get some pictures.

I had the engine on the firewall last month and started the induction
system and turbo installation. It became apparent rather quickly that my
newly mounted engine mount was sub-optimal for the induction plumbing.
After trying to talk myself into believing I could make it work I
finally gave up, pulled the engine and have started on a new mount. The
problems were interference areas that would have made the induction
plumbing a Rube-Goldberg affair. With just a few changes in the mount
the plumbing changes to a simple and straightforward affair. And simple
is the Prime directive. I just received all new metal and hopefully will
be cutting and welding this weekend.

In the mean time I've started on replumbing my oil cooling system.
Pulled out the huge and heavy high pressure rubber/steel braided lines
from the pilot side duct. Using 5/8 copper tube one in each duct, with a
secondary cooler/cabin heater under the rear seat. The copper lines are
bonded(bolted and soldered) together in the front and rear and will also
serve as the ground line from the battery to the engine compartment.
This will nicely match the 1/0 AWG welding cable I have now for the
positive wire. I also removed the cabin heating apparatus from the
forward oil cooler duct to improve airflow through it. The mid body oil
cooler/cabin heater is just about finished.

I also just finished the upper cowl receiving flange on the fuselage
that will allow me to toss all those pesky fuselage cowl fasteners. The
lip of the cowl now fits snugly between two receiving flanges, only
screws will be where the cowl mates to the wings and where the upper and
lower cowl meet behind the wings, they will be captive fasteners. No
more nicks in my nice new Catto prop from errant cowl fasteners. Now to
do the bottom cowl receiving flange.

I've almost finished fitting the cooling plenum to the IO520. this was
the premolded plenum for a IO550. Luckily the factory makes it with a
good bit of extra lengths where it is cut to fit and there was plenty to
adapt it with out adding a hardly any glass to make up for the different
head design(angle verses parallel valve.) and upper deck turbo plumbing.

I finally located all the required exhaust bends & fittings to relocate
the turbo to a central and tighter location. Once I rehang the engine I
can cut, fit and tack it together. Then send it to Custom Aircraft for
final welding and testing. None of the turbo manufactures want to deal
with a lowly homebuilder and the few aircraft turbo exhaust places don't
either. I found the 4" V-Band flange and clamps from a large racing
outfit, the 3" 321 stainless bends and slip joints from another racing
shop and am having the large inlet and outlet flanges machined locally.

Of course, this has turned into a much larger project than I thought,
but its been fun so far....

Got checked out in a local 172 rental so I can fly a bit. I didn't
remember them as being so slow and under performing??

Scott