REFLECTOR: Another Velocity in the Skies

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 11 07:49:30 CDT 2005

Congratulations, Robin and Glen!!!!

(Excerpted from the local airpark newsletter - Lake Norman Airpark, North
Carolina)

Robin and Glenn Babcock, (Lot 51) sent in a report of the first flight of
their Velocity, N697RG, which occurred on Saturday, Sept 24. 2005. They
traveled to Sebastian, FL, the home of Velocity Aircraft, where their plane
was waiting for them. Following is an account in their own words.

Saturday was a typical Florida summer day; hot and damp, with rain forecast
for the afternoon. Given that, we had to fly early while the sky was clear
and the winds steady. We had 10 knots right down runway 8.

We met Frank Ware and Mike Snyder, two top guys formerly from Velocity
Aircraft, who now run their own business. They worked with us to complete
the installation of the engine and panel and complete the assembly of the
plane. They did a great job, getting everything ready for me. All I had to
do was show up and fly.

Robin stood on the ramp to take pictures and video. Before we even started
we had two failures, the handheld radio and the video camera. Guess it's
better to have the gremlins on the ground equipment than in the air!
Fortunately, our still camera also takes decent video. Robin did a great job
of taking the pictures and video between her shouts and tears of joy!

I spent a few minutes with Mike going over the plane. I then completed the
pre-flight, and we did some slow taxiing. Frank got out, and I started my
high-speed taxi runs. On the first run, I only got the speed up to 50 knots.
I needed 55 to get the nose to lift. The second run I nailed it, and
everything felt great. Time for the main event!

I lined up on runway 8 and pushed the throttle forward. The MT prop bit the
air hard, and I started to accelerate. At 80 knots the nose came up and she
started to climb. Soon I was seeing 1200 FPM at 100 knots with the gear
still down. Leaving the gear down, I circled the field, throttling back to
25 squared. I held this to 5000 feet, then leveled out, pulling power to
stay under the 120 knot gear extended speed. The plane was flying great! I
was very happy to see the engine temps on the VM1000 were all well in the
green.

After a few minutes, I did some slow flight to feel out the landing
characteristics. Full aft stick and I was indicating 63 knots, quite good
for a Velocity. The canard did not break into a stall, and I didn't push it
on this flight.

Finally it was time to bring it in. I brought it around and lined up with
runway 8. Frank recommended 90 knots over the fence, which is a little hot.
I pulled power and flared, and she floated a bit then touched down.
Successful first flight! What a dream come true!