REFLECTOR: sanding the cores

Alex Balic alex157 at pwhome.com
Sun Oct 2 20:27:42 CDT 2005

Speaking of the sanding- as everyone knows it is difficult to sand the
cores, because the micro is about 50 times harder to sand than the foam,
so you end up with foam ridges surrounded by low areas of foam no matter
how careful (and I was really careful too, because I was expecting this
problem )- you can try to not run the micro all of the way out to the
surface of the foam while bonding, or as I did on my canard cores (I
learned my lesson from the wings) I used some of the "Great stuff"
canned polyurethane foam as adhesive to put the cores together- you need
to rub them together a bit to de-aerate the foam - the stuff sticks
great, and when it was done, it all sanded like a monolithic slab-
worked great, and no micro to mix either. I have a very fine glue line,
about a 16th or so.  Also did a test piece just to make sure, and the
bond line is stronger than the blue foam.