REFLECTOR: Triax which side is up?

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 2 10:32:23 CDT 2005

Andy,

I would lay the triax on the wing, trim as necessary, then pull all the
squiggles out. If you do it on plastic then fold it... squiggles will return.
Cutting also can pull the long strands when you are near an edge.

If you just do it all on the wing and then leave it there, then glass it when
you are ready, I think you will have better results.

I did my 173 wings this way, and was very pleased with the results. I did
have someone help me mix the epoxy as I did the wetting out. That was helpful, it
took a while to get it all done.

I can not see your inboard ends. Did you cut off the required amount for the
"well" and glue it back in place with a few dabs of glue?  Im not sure the
plans are the same, but I read about that somewhere, and it was a damn good idea.
Once it came time to glass the inboard wells, I just popped the pre-cut piece
back out and touched it up with sanding.

I also used some peel ply on the winglet end, to minmize sanding when I did
the bazillion winglet layups. It seemed better to add a few ounces of weight
there than to sand through the long fibers for the next layup.

Just my 2 cents.  Have fun. I actually liked building my wings. Very
satisfying.

Kurt Winker