REFLECTOR: Triax which side is up?

Alex Balic alex157 at pwhome.com
Sun Oct 2 02:31:49 CDT 2005

I'm thinking Alan didn't wan to spend the time to pull them all out- it
is very, very tedious, I did mine all dry- laid the glass on the cores
and pulled with rubber gloves and a set of pliers- you can put a lot of
tension on them, and I had little trouble pulling the slack out- just
took a few hours to do it- I was told that my triax was in "usual"
condition as far as the squiggles are concerned.   As far as if they
matter- yes they do- the triax is designed to be laid so the roving
takes the tension loads of the structure. If the roving is not straight,
then the resin, and the  smaller biax fibers end up doing  this job- as
you can tell, the biax layer is much less substantial then the roving-
in filament winding structures like pressure vessels, the roving is
applied under quite a bit of tension to obtain the proper strength of
the bottle, and the same would apply to our wings- even though the
thickness of the glass on there is quite substantial (can't comment on
the hollow wings since I am unfamiliar with their specific
construction)-