REFLECTOR: Deltahawk engine

Grigore Rosu grosu at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 1 07:47:39 CDT 2005

Hello,

I have just received my kit (SEFG) from Velocity a couple of days ago, now
going over the inventory and garage space ... very exciting.  Unbelievable
how many airplane-unrelated things one can keep in a garage.  The car
seems to take a lot of precious space; out with it!

I am still seriously thinking of putting a diesel Deltahawk engine on my
airplane.  It may be a bit too early for me to worry about the engine now,
but I was wondering whether there were any new developments regarding the
DH engines, or whether any of you has already installed and flight-test
one.   When I was at Velocity during the head-start program (mid-August),
they had one DH engine there.  Therefore, I'm assuming that perhaps others
may have also received their engine, maybe even tested them.

BTW, Europe's SMA revived and they are slowly entering the US market with
their engines.  Unfortunately, their 230HP does not seem to fit well our
Velocities (too heavy for Standard, too little power for XL).  Besides
that, it seems to be very expensive (>$70k with prop) ...

Grigore