REFLECTOR: Dan the Transport Man

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Wed Nov 30 10:59:56 CST 2005

I just noticed that you said to spray WD-40 on your bendix.  This is a BIG NO-NO.  WD-40 is pure junk and should not be used on you plane ever.  You will find that it contains kerosene and DMSO.  It was removed from the aircraft industry back in the sixties. Once the stuff dries it will cause everything with iron it to rust.  Do not use it on any moving parts that are critical to flight or that you don't care if it rust or not.

I have used it for one use only in my hangar.  To bust the beads on my tires before removing from the wheel halves.  DMSO would work in its self but in the spray can it's more convenient.  I have had the same can for over ten years now.  I keep it away from every thing else in the hangar.

I have told guys that if they used it on their planes related to controls I would not sign off their annuals.  I would make them wash it all off and re-lube their controls.

The only thing WD-40 has going for it, is their promotional strategy.  If everyone used their method of selling products they could sell most anything.

Consider using LPS products