REFLECTOR: Re: Electric

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Nov 27 23:28:46 CST 2005

I am running both batteries in the nose, with seperate contactors and
switches for each one.

The switched side of the contactors are hooked together and supply power to
all of my forward systems and essential buss. The 2G wire that runs through
the conduit also connects there. Like I said, I can run either or both
batteries (or shut them both off if I have to).

The 2G comes out the back of the conduit and runs straight to the starter
solenoid lug (Chevy type starter). That is where my aft power buss suppply
is as well as the attachment for the Alternator. (I do have a fuseable link
in that line and a pullable field breaker for safety).

So, to answer your question, If one battery is off line, it is isolated from
everything including the charging system. According to Bob K, the only
reason you need to shut off a battery is for power conservation should you
lose an alternator (after you load shed to critical power items only).
Normal mode is both batteries ON.  Since I have 2 voltmeters and an ammeter,
I should know immediately if anything goes amiss with the charging/battery
systems.

I consider 2 working batteries and a charging system as part of my MEL since
everything in the airplane is electric ( 2-electric fuel pumps, 2 MSD
ignitions, and electric gyros).

We have essentially the same in the power distribution, except my #2 battery
is charged through a schottky diode when it's contactor is off.  I have two
independent sets of coils and plugs, and two independent sets of injectors.

Painted the undersides of the strakes Friday and got a beautiful finish (of
course, somewhere where it isn't seen).  Not sure if I just got lucky, or
I'm actually catching on. Tomorrow it is the top of the fuselage and
strakes.  Hoping for the best.

Al