REFLECTOR: Re: Electric

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sun Nov 27 21:02:18 CST 2005

Scott,

I definately need to get up there and take a look. Aren't we a strange lot
that enjoys retrofit or plans-departure hell?.. Oh well.. I enjoy it as well.

I had origonally planned on using a charging splitter and only running one
battery at a time. Then I re-read all of the Bob K stuff. Looking at his
reasoning (and trusting his experience) I changed plans to a blend of his suggestions
and what fits my airplane.

I am running both batteries in the nose, with seperate contactors and
switches for each one.
The switched side of the contactors are hooked together and supply power to
all of my forward systems and essential buss. The 2G wire that runs through the
conduit also connects there. Like I said, I can run either or both batteries
(or shut them both off if I have to).

The 2G comes out the back of the conduit and runs straight to the starter
solenoid lug (Chevy type starter). That is where my aft power buss suppply is as
well as the attachment for the Alternator. (I do have a fuseable link in that
line and a pullable field breaker for safety).

So, to answer your question, If one battery is off line, it is isolated from
everything including the charging system. According to Bob K, the only reason
you need to shut off a battery is for power conservation should you lose an
alternator (after you load shed to critical power items only). Normal mode is
both batteries ON.  Since I have 2 voltmeters and an ammeter, I should know
immediately if anything goes amiss with the charging/battery systems.

I consider 2 working batteries and a charging system as part of my MEL since
everything in the airplane is electric ( 2-electric fuel pumps, 2 MSD
ignitions, and electric gyros).

If you need a hand moving your project, let me know. My schedule is as hosed
as ever, but I do have some open time.

Kurt