REFLECTOR: Navaid Auto Pilot with Porcine GPS Coupler and Panel Mounted GPS's

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 27 07:18:15 CST 2005

I got a question yesterday about my Navaid Auto Pilot with Porcine GPS
Coupler and Panel Mounted GPS's.

I got my Garmin 430 to work with my Navaid after getting Porcine's latest
coupler update.  The problem is that most panel mounted GPS's do not
transmit the NEMA RS232 data streams that are common to hand held GPS's -
rather they transmit a data stream called "aviation".  The Porcine couplers
have worked well with hand held GPS's but not "aviation", that is until the
update that was made in 2004.  I got around to getting this update this
summer and IT WORKS!  The aviation data stream will need to be set to
"aviation - no altitude".

Ronnie Brown
Velocity N713MR