REFLECTOR: Lycoming starters

John Tvedte JohnT at comp-sol.com
Sat Nov 26 23:50:45 CST 2005

http://www.skytecair.com/Lycoming.htm

Interesting that the High Torque Inline is 125-185A @ 11V, while the Flyweight is 185-285A @ 11V

Anyone able to enlighten me on why the orig. high torque (which uses a field wound motor) and the Flyweight (using a permanent magnet motor) are both rated 185-285A @ 11V?

	-----Original Message-----
	From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org on behalf of Pat Shea
	Sent: Sat 11/26/2005 7:52 PM
	To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
	Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Lycoming starters

	My Sky-Tec Flyweight starter struggled to turn over my
	Lyc IO-540 when it was hot. It would stall on a
	compression stroke (10:1 compression). I tried three
	different batteries, each with a higher cranking
	output and also verified my #2 wires had clean
	terminal connections etc. I finally switched to the
	Sky-Tec's High Torque In-Line starter. Problem solved
	- no hesitation when the engine is hot or if the
	battery isn't 100% charged. The bottom line is that
	the Flyweight starter turns the engine over faster
	while the High Torque has, well, more torque. The High
	Torque is also designed to be tougher but weighs about
	1.5 lbs more than the Flyweight. It is still quite a
	bit lighter and turns the engine over much faster (I'd
	guess 2X) than the engine's original starter.

	Pat XL-RG