REFLECTOR: Lycoming starters

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 19:52:43 CST 2005

My Sky-Tec Flyweight starter struggled to turn over my
Lyc IO-540 when it was hot. It would stall on a
compression stroke (10:1 compression). I tried three
different batteries, each with a higher cranking
output and also verified my #2 wires had clean
terminal connections etc. I finally switched to the
Sky-Tec's High Torque In-Line starter. Problem solved
- no hesitation when the engine is hot or if the
battery isn't 100% charged. The bottom line is that
the Flyweight starter turns the engine over faster
while the High Torque has, well, more torque. The High
Torque is also designed to be tougher but weighs about
1.5 lbs more than the Flyweight. It is still quite a
bit lighter and turns the engine over much faster (I'd
guess 2X) than the engine's original starter.

Pat XL-RG