REFLECTOR: Fuel Selector Valves

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Nov 24 19:47:12 CST 2005

I just talked with an A&P/IA friend of mine.

He thought  the bubbly fuel return should be done at the top so you
don't inadvertantly pump bubbles into your fuel supply tube.  I would
think keeping the return well above the supply even if it was submerged
would be fine. Having them at the same level may invite trouble.

He also said that 210's and 206's had a bad problem in the early 70's
with the fuel return heating up the small 1/2 gallon sump tanks they
had(one for each main), and that there were many incidents of vapor
lock. They had two sumps and the cure for a while was to switch to the
cooler unused sump if you experienced vapor lock.  He though the large
4+ gallon sumps some V's have would have no problem at all. He wasn't
sure about a sump nearer a gallon in size.  I don't know how big the new
sump tanks against the firewall are..

Scott