REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sat Nov 19 15:58:37 CST 2005

Larry,

If you stay in the 15-20 ft-lb range for breaking force on the nose
wheel, we wouldn't expect to you to experience shimmy, but you don't
understand...we are GREEDY.  We want perfect, fabulous and fantastic.
Good, okay, it works, is simply not good enough for inveterate tinkers,
which almost by definition, builders are.

Bob, if you build your plane by the plans, and follow Scott's advice
about properly lubing and tensioning the nose gear, you will likely not
have any problem.  Nonetheless, a cheap insurance policy to remedy a
shimmy event is knowing where there's a good grass strip within flying
distance...and having a wrench with you.

The circumstance that seems to induce the greatest tendency to shimmy is
landing in a slightly crabbed position.  When the nose touches, the
wheel is not aligned with the motion of travel and friction of the
runway will 'kick' the tire toward alignment.  Of course, the kick
always goes past center, then the friction of the runway kicks it back
the other way, ad nauseum.

Trying to slow rapidly is only mildly effective.  It seems that as you
slow down, the frequency of oscillation also slows but the amplitude
increases.  And hard braking, which shifts weight to the nose, also
seems to aggravate it once started.  Best solution is to lift the nose,
give it gas and go to a grass field.

Chuck