REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Nov 18 16:13:32 CST 2005

Chuck,
I agree with you.  There are two kinds of "shimmy".  The nose shimmy is
very violent and won't stop until the plane is stopped.  The gear leg
shimmy will "stop" if you let off the brakes.  My right main shimmys,
and my left doesn't.  I videotaped it during a high speed taxi.  It
shimmys at around 20-30kn (just a guess as my AI doesn't register at
that speed) both during acceleration and deceleration.  With the brakes
off, I can't feel it, but it shows up on the videotape real clear.  It's
a front to back oscillation like you said.

John