REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Fri Nov 18 11:40:37 CST 2005

After 700 hours flying my STDRG, I find that I only have a shimmy (nose
wheel) problem when my Cleveland brake disks get some time(braking) on  them.
They seem to warp just enough to cause a shaking (however slight) in  the main
gear leg, which in turns produces the nose shimmy.  This only  happens on
landings while decelerating through 30 mph and below.  If I  have the room (proper
runway management), I let off the brakes, and the shimmy  stops immediately.
On landing, immediately after touch down of the nose  wheel, I apply steady,
firm and somewhat aggressive breaking  to approximately 35/40 mph.  Then I let
off, and coast as much as the  available runway will allow. This does tow
things.  First it confirms that  I in fact do have good breaking capability's while
I still have runway and  airspeed to go around, and second (I feel) limits
the amount of time the pads  are in contact with the disk.  I know the argument
that this causes more  heat, but I am on them less.  This technique seems to
eliminate the "brake  caused shimmy" once the symptoms start which is after
about 50 (normal breaking  )landings on new disks.  When it bothers me to much, I
either turn the  disks, or replace them.

Right now, the right brake causes some nose shimmy, so I will probably  turn
that disk, and that will be that for a while.

TEC