REFLECTOR: Painting; HVLP

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 16 06:43:00 CST 2005

Good Morning Al,

A couple of suggestions for the dust and bugs.

Build a spray booth using plastic sheeting and 2x4's.  Put in about 4 20 x 20 filters in one end, and three cheap box fans in the other end drawing the air from the filtered end.  The one I had access to was 12 x 20' and 8 feet tall.  Try to spray in the direction of the air flow - start spraying at the filter end and end up at he exhaust fan end.

Also, be sure to use tack rags just before spraying.  I forgot one time and dust was everywhere in the paint.  I thought there was a problem with the spray booth (leaks, etc) and then I remembered I had forgotten to tack rag the piece.

Happy painting and keep sharing your experiences!!!

Re the HVLP, the EPA forced the industry to lower overspray and VOC's.  This resulted in unreasonably low air pressures = not enough to have good atomization and delivery of the spray paints.  The EPA will NOT put you in jail if they find you are using a higher than government regulated air pressure.  Sort of like them damned Low Volume Commodes.  Supposed to save water but you have to flush them twice.

Ronnie