REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 15 08:09:18 CST 2005

I discovered how destructive nose wheel shimmy can be.

On a half dozen or so occassions, I have had nose wheel shimmy after
landing.  The last time, I smelled hot epoxy.  After shut down I did some
investigating and found that the right side pivot bushing had worked loose
from its mounting in the keel. It had worn the hole into an egg shape with
most of the wear toward the lower front of the bushing mounting.

I have epoxied a new bushing into place using the Aeropoxy structural
adhesive.

>From now on, I am going to keep my bellville washers clean and tighter to
minimize - or rather prevent nose wheel shimmy.  (sure makes steering
tougher - especially on take off)

Has anybody else had this problem?  I am guessing there is a problem in that
there is a new and improved mounting for these bushings.

Do I also need to go ahead and plan to replace these with the new bushings
and plates that are shown in the latest on-line plans?

Ronnie
173 Elite RG

 (173 Elite RG).