REFLECTOR: Brake fluids

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 19:07:31 CST 2005

I would like to know if any of you have had any problem with converting your brake systems from Matco to Clevelands on  you XL's?  If you kept the auto master cylinders is the main question and changed out to 5056 red hydraulic fluid.
I have removed the master cylinders and cleaned and flushed them as well as the lines, that had DOT 5 fluid in them. I soaked the cylinders in the 5056 fluid and saw no effect on the piston cup seals or the 'O' rings.  Still have some concern with the seals and the operation with the new fluid.  If could, would you shine some light on this subject for me? Only if you have done it.  I don't need any guessing. I have the whole system all installed but have not service it yet.  The new brakes comes with standard red hydraulic fluid in them.
Also will sell the old brakes and wheels for a lighter plane.  Have less then 200hrs on them.  Good price.
Dave