Reflector: EZ-Poxy Hardener

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Nov 11 13:02:31 CST 2005

I used my epoxy pump from early 1997 until just recently when I emptied it
and flushed it with acetone because I expected to need it no more.  During
that 8 year period I never had to clean it, and it worked reliably.

Other than when I was adding material to the pump, I would keep it sealed
and at room temp.  I had hardener in the containers for more than 2 years at
times, and as near as I could tell by my qualitative 'pull' tests on samples
the cured strength was fine.

What worked for me was keeping the pump at a moderate temp, say about 70 F,
and maintain the temp as constant as you can.  Lower temp means less rapid
loss of volatile components, and less oxidation of components.  A constant
temp minimizes the moisture entering the pump containers.  I tried to keep
the amount of material in the pump containers to what I expected to use in a
few days to a week.

If the pump had not been used for a period of time (and there may have been
times as long as a year), and the hardener was getting stiff, or the resin
plating out some of the 'white' stuff, I would heat the new materials in
cans to about 105 -115 F before adding to the pump containers; then heat the
pump cylinders with a heat gun until they were nice and warm to the touch;
stir the materials in the containers, and pump a few strokes through the
pump.  The warm material would dissolve the crystals, and was a good 'flush'
for the pump.

It worked for me; your results may vary.

Al