REFLECTOR: Props

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sat May 28 05:24:09 CDT 2005

Hello Murray,
I can think of several reasons why IVO propellers should be avoided when
installed on direct-drive Lycoming or Continental engines.  As a start, IVO
does not recommend his propellers for Lycoming or Continental aircraft
engine installations.  IVO propellers are not designed to withstand the
tortures of these engines - and there is a history of failures to give
everyone cause for concern for the in-flight safety of IVO props (on
Lycoming and Continental ... and even Franklin engines).  Several Velocity
owners are operating IVO/Franklin combinations - but even Ivo is wary about
this.  Next is the issue of insurance.  Some insurance companies have "black
balled" Ivo products from their coverages (which is unfair in my opinion,
but this is another subject).  The bottom line is - your insurance carrier
may not insure Ivo products.
SB