REFLECTOR: Low Speed Handling

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Thu May 26 19:30:11 CDT 2005

At 08:46 AM 5/26/05, you wrote:
>A question for you Richard:
>
>Do Vari Eze's, Long EZ's, Cozy's and Berkuts have Frieze ailerons?  I.e.,
>does the lower front edge hang down in the airstream when the back of the
>aileron is up?  This is supposed to help prevent adverse yaw.  (this adds
>drag on the down wing to help counterbalance the drag on the down aileron
>and reduce yaw). Velocity has them - I am guessing the others do too - but
>just checking.

Yep, they all do, with hinges on the top skin, and the lower aileron skin
longer than the top.  The counterweight is a rod along the aileron lower
skin leading edge.  The adverse yaw only occurs at high angles of attack,
when the dihedral effect (created by the swept wing, not by genuine
dihedral) becomes dominate.