REFLECTOR: Low Speed Handling

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu May 26 09:20:07 CDT 2005

Here's my 2 cents on low speed handling:

1.  The Velocity aileron control geometry causes the ailerons to go down

more than they go up.  I installed my aileron bell cranks at the engine with
a lot of forward angle when the aileron is up.  This corrects the bad
approach angle at the keel.

2.  VG's on the wings can help improve aileron effectiveness at lower speeds

and hence improve handling on short final.  And as I mentioned in an earlier

note, VG's on the canard can also improve low speed elevator effectiveness.

I do not have the elevator cuffs installed - this also improves low speed

elevator effectiveness.

Good points, Ron.  I had asked about your elevator cuffs because you
mentioned a more abrupt pitch break at stall.  My understanding is that no
cuffs gives more elevator authority at low speeds, but also makes for a more
pronounced 'pitch buck'. This probably results in the more likely sudden
drop of the nose as you try those slower, shorter landings.  I guess it's
another of those trade offs; the cuffs probably require a slightly higher
landing speed anyway, so as far landing roll goes you gain nothing.

My elevators came with the cuffs.  After the discussion here a couple years
back, I removed about half the length of the cuff; leaving cuff in the
center portion of each elevator.  I figured I'd try that and then decide
after flying about the rest.  Mine is the standard wing, so characteristic
may be a bit different than the 173.

Al