REFLECTOR: Low Speed Handling

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Thu May 26 08:04:58 CDT 2005

Here's my 2 cents on low speed handling:

1.  The Velocity aileron control geometry causes the ailerons to go down
more than they go up.  I feel this differential is backwards from the
preferred "more up than down" aileron travel.  This is due to the "wrong"
approach angle of the push/pull cable at the rear of the keel (Thank You
Dave Black!).  This can cause adverse yaw at low speeds.  Using a lot of
rudder can counteract this adverse yaw and minimize the wallowing on final.
I installed my aileron bell cranks at the engine with a lot of forward angle
when the aileron is up.  This corrects the bad approach angle at the keel.
I feel my 173 handles well at lower speeds - and required for Lake Norman
Airpark with all of the tall trees around the airstrip.

2.  VG's on the wings can help improve aileron effectiveness at lower speeds
and hence improve handling on short final.  And as I mentioned in an earlier
note, VG's on the canard can also improve low speed elevator effectiveness.
I do not have the elevator cuffs installed - this also improves low speed
elevator effectiveness.

All of the above are my opinions - based on my subjective experiences.  I
have flown three Velocities - the Factory 173 Trainer, a Standard with
standard wings, and my 173 Elite.  All three have VG's.  I feel all three
handled well at low speeds - well enough that my 800 hours of 172 experience
was pleased with the handling of these Velocities on short final.

Ronnie