REFLECTOR: Runway length

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue May 24 11:49:22 CDT 2005

I think there is a big difference in stall characteristics between the
XL and STD Velocities, or maybe it's a variation due to individual
building.  Either way, my SRG is light in front.  With 2 up front (350
lbs) and 20 gal fuel, I can stall (a mild oscillation) at 70 kn on short
final and the stall will go away when I'm in ground effect and I can
land without the nose hitting hard.  An extra 10 kn makes a big
difference (psychologically) when you're trying to land on a short
runway.  I recommend doing a slow speed stall to see how strong the
bucking is.  Know how to avoid deep stalls as previously discussed.  If
the bucking is extremely gentle, you can probably expect the same when
landing and not need a lot of extra speed.  Of course the first attempt
is best on a 5000' runway.

John