REFLECTOR: CATTO

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue May 24 09:53:01 CDT 2005

I have a couple hundred hours on my MT (IO540) and have had repairs done twice, neither of them MTs fault but characteristic of composite props...they don't make good sledge hammers.  By the second repair job last winter, I actually got GOOD service from MT.  Your results may vary, and that varied from my earlier experience also.

My main objection was during the first repair, MT required that I have the new seals put in the prop to fix the leaking problem--even though mine weren't leakings.  The prop was relatively new and MT has made no convincing case that the seal problem was anything but an engineering design inadequacy.  I would have felt a LOT better if they had picked up the tab for that since I was having other work done at the same time.

My personal experience is when I make a mistake, I pay for it!  MT does not share that philosophy.  The Customer Service and the willingness of Grand Rapids and TruTrak to stand behind their products stands in marked contrast.

In general, there has been dissatisfaction with MT's prices but two things should be considered, first, the proposed price of alternatives were as high, or higher, and second, there aren't any alternatives--yet.

In sum, if MT were a little more customer-orientated (and didn't believe the myth of infallible German engineering), they would find warmer customer acceptance...and probably higher profits in the long run.

Chuck
 <mailto:HYTEC45 at aol.com>
 HYTEC45 at aol.com wrote:

Forgotten is RELIABILITY.  I would not fly my mt out of my state.  After the 6 returns for major warranty repair over 240hrs of operation, and being told that all my problems (grease leaks, bearings literally beating there self's apart, blade fractures are due to my electronic ignition, 10 to 1 pistons, and operating it on a IO-360.  I elected to spend an additional 4.5K (blades, installation, and damaged parts due to vibration in 45hrs of operation) on the "new and improved" blades. I was told that these blades would solve all my problems.[Chuck Jensen] .....With $17,000 I could of bought my dream shotgun.