REFLECTOR: CATTO

Grigore Rosu grosu at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue May 24 08:23:06 CDT 2005

But suppossing that one is interested in just one factor, namely maximal
cruise speed, would there be any reason to choose a constant speed
propeller over a fixed pitch one?  Or to be more concrete, assuming
all the other factors equal (even though they are not), would an MT
constant speed propeller on a Velocity SEFG give one a higher cruise
speed than a fixed pitch propeller on the same aircraft?  I guess a CS
propeller would give one a maximum cruise speed at any altitude, while a
FP one would give a maximum cruise speed at just one, conveniently chosen
altitude?

As many of you may already know, Deltahawk and Velocity will be providing
a DH engine kit in the near future, including an MT constant speed
propeller.  Since one of the major advertised advantages of a DH engine
over a Lycoming is the overall cost of operation, I guess they could have
chosen a fixed pitch propeller as part of the engine kit instead of a CS
one, if there were no significant differences between the two.  Could the
type of engine favour a particular type (FP vs. CS) of propeller?

Grigore