REFLECTOR: Runway length

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Mon May 23 17:46:05 CDT 2005

Re: REFLECTOR: Runway lengthI'm flying a XL/RG and find that our 2400 ft runway is OK for take off and landing providing no cross winds.  With my fixed pitch Catto prop I can get off in right around 1200 ft.  Two people and 50 gal of gas.  Now when I get my new 82 pitch I will need at least 1500 ft.  Like you say Jack with a cross winds I use the long 5000 ft run way with a little more speed on the approach.  I have also found that if you aim for the number you won't hit them you will float right past them.   I aim for the threshold and just clear or hit the numbers.
I will be flying into Oceanside in the near future because me kids are moving down there.  So I plan on using the 2700 ft on a regular basis.
Yet I would go to a longer runway for first flight anyway.  You can get it off from there but I would fly it some where else to land and keep it there till you have the confidence to bring it into the 2700 ft. That is, if you don't have to put it right back down on the runway on your first test flight.
Dave