REFLECTOR: Squeaks

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue May 17 20:05:54 CDT 2005

I've thought about it.  The good thing about the slack is that it makes taxiing on a
grass strip a lot smoother.  Instead of the plane bobbing side to side, the main gear
mechanism oscillates side to side.  The bad thing is that the gear raps the sockets
and I'm concerned it will eventually damage them.  A soft (compressible) rubber strip
might allow oscillation without the gear hitting the sockets hard.  On my plane, I
believe the squeak is around the pivot bolts rather than the socket.

John