REFLECTOR: Porpoising (was TruTrak AP)

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue May 17 07:53:44 CDT 2005

Pat,

It's agreed that the optimum solution is to 'dial it in', then add an A/P.  The A/P might be able to camouflage the not-quite-right rigging but I suspect you didn't spend 1000+ hours and 50% more money than expected, just to have a plane that can get airborne and kind of flies okay.

If the problem is intractable, and after trying everything else, you can always try the A/P to solve the problem.  But since the consensus is for installation of an A/P anyhow, given the Velocity mission profile, it would seem to make sense to install an A/P, even if you haven't gotten every issue sorted out, because you'll eventually want one.  And, the TruTrak is a pretty solid choice (and I believe there is a competitive price available thru Velocity).

I'm not sure about the sparrow strainer issue.  That's been discussed in archive ad infinitum.  I took mine off (well, actually it fell off) but I haven't reinstalled it as I'm unable to figure out exactly what it will, or is supposed to, do for me.  Others swear by them.  I don't notice the before/after difference.

Final thought.  Rather than adjusting the sparrow strainer to fix your problem, may be it IS the problem.  Try removing it and see if the porpoising goes away.  Stranger things have happened.

Chuck