REFLECTOR: Flying High

Gary T. Ciampa gciampa at nc.rr.com
Mon May 16 23:01:26 CDT 2005

All,

"google knows all"....a search on google finds a great number of
articles and publications on hypoxia, here's one of interest which seems
easily digestable (at least for me), with a good description of the
stages,  factors and symptoms.

http://www.aviationmedicine.co.za/AM_S_Hypoxia.php

In a former life I had the good fortune to regularly test my
susceptability to hypoxia in a hyperbaric chamber. In one instance, I
was able to carry on a conversation for quite some time at 37,000 feet
w/out supplemental oxygen. However, after it was all said and done, I
don't recall a single topic of the conversation, nor do I remember going
back on 100% oxygen and recovering. I am sure I killed a large number of
brain cells that day, to wit, I'm still suffering the affects.

Gary