REFLECTOR: Porpoising (was TruTrak AP)

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 21:05:24 CDT 2005

Chuck,

Does your plane porpoise much without the a/p engaged?
My XL tends to porpoise at high cruise (180KIAS) with
only one person in the front seats. It settles into
1-2 minute cycles with an amplitude of +/- 5 knots.
Hands off, it's not a very comfortable ride. Brendan
suggesested increasing the negative incidence on my
sparrow strainer to further load the pitch trim spring
at high cruise. This would also cause the plane *feel*
less pitch sensitive at high cruise which is fine. He
mentioned this before I told him that my sparrow
strainer has only about half as much negative
incidence as most I've seen - that's just the way it
came out using the templates. I knew it was off but
decided to just try it first to see - I may now be
*seeing* the results. An a/p would probably take care
of this, but I'd like the plane to be dialed in on
it's own if possible.

Pat XLRG