REFLECTOR: FINALLY SOME TRUE DATA -- NOW WHAT

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Mon May 16 19:28:08 CDT 2005

Ok ... if I let my plane fly the way it wants, with wings level ... the
"ball" is way off to the left (on the ground it is neutral) and the left
wing wants to bank ... making a slight turn to the right.

To get the nose perfectly straight it requires a LOT of left rudder.
Then the plane flees without any turning or banking tendencies.

I don't think any vertical surfaces (winglets or rudders) are out of rig
because at high speed ground roll (landing and taking off) the plane
tracks perfectly.  It is only when lift is developed that the "ball out
of center" phenomenon starts.

The trim tab did not help much and was removed.

I believe I need to decrease the angle of attack on my left wing to
correct the problem.

When I checked incidence ... they were right on.

By the way ... does "P" factor cause some of this problem?  If the left
side of my prop (as viewed from behind) develop more thrust ... wouldn't
that cause the plane to fly off to the right?

I examined my engine mount and it is not canted to cancel out the "P"
factor.

Any thoughts?