REFLECTOR: Flying High

Jorge Bujanda jbujanda at dslextreme.com
Mon May 16 12:29:13 CDT 2005

This is why I consider this topic to be so important.  The headache,
just like any of the other hypoxia symptoms or signs, is not reliable at
all.  You may be seriously impaired and experience no headache.  Others
may experience it at the initial stages.  Different individuals will be
affected in very different ways.  This only reinforces the fact that
many variables come to play and the manifestation of the effects of
"acute" hypoxia can vary greatly amongst persons.  In addition, this are
most likely to "change" over time in the same individual.

Based on some of the comments, I can see that most of those who seem to
downplay the issue of hypoxia, seem to base their comments and
conclusions on the conditions they and others have been able to tolerate
in the past.  That would probably be appropriate, regardles of how high
they live, if everything always went as planned and our physical
condition, physiology, and aging (deteriorating) bodies would not
change.  Of course those living at higher elevations will tolerate
hypoxia better.  This does not alter the fact that that we do change
over time and with it, our capacity to tolerate hypoxia.

In my humble opinion, those who are basing their conclusions purely on
their previous tolerance and experience will get slapped, sooner or
later.  I hope that when it happens, they get the chance to talk about
it and learn from it.  I commend those who fly with oxygen, even if they
live on top of Mount Saint Helen, because they know they WILL eventually
experience and have prepared for an "unplanned landing on a smoky runway
when they least expect it."

As always, the information is there for the taking of those who want it.
I learned from Ronnie's recommended article that onboard oxygen does not
have to be expensive or "painful" just to be on the safe side.

My intention was to create awareness and I am pleased to see the
results.  There are many research sources you can tap into, if you still
have doubts or questions.  Just fly safely so you can return to those
who await you, and get the chance to fly again tomorrow (both at low or
high altitude).

Regards,
Jorge