REFLECTOR: TruTrak AP

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon May 16 10:31:12 CDT 2005

Anyone flying their Velocity with a TruTrak autopilot?

I mentioned here before that I was concerned about the amount of residual
drag caused by the roll servo.  (The stepping motor on their AP does not
disengage when the AP is turned off).  I am further concerned now that I
have connected and adjusted the roll trim, and find that the stock roll trim
cannot exert enough force to overcome the residual drag of the servo.

I realize that it is a different situation when flying and there are air
loads on the control surfaces, but I can't help but think that servo drag
will put a "hysteresis" into the controls so the controls would not "center"
if you let go of the stick.

Just wondered what the actual flying experience is before I get upset that
they don't use a servo that disengages the gearing when the autopilot is
"disengaged"

Al