REFLECTOR: Flying High

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Mon May 16 10:29:04 CDT 2005

If you live at 5000-7500 feet, you will become acclimated.  Your blood will
have more red cells, your lung capacity will increase.

If those things don't happen, you'll feel sick much of the time, and you'll
eventually move down the mountain.  Toward the end of his life my father
got altitude sickness staying in a hotel on the floor of the Yosemite
valley - and that's only 4000 feet.

Insurance companies know that.  So people who live at altitude don't pay
more.

Trying to monitor people who live in the low lands, but who frequently
drive in higher elevations, is financially difficult.  I also doubt that
drivers would be willing to let their insurance companies put the GPS
transponders on their cars to allow such monitoring.