REFLECTOR: DOT 5 Compatability

Christopher Martin christophercmartin at earthlink.net
Fri May 13 19:54:17 CDT 2005

One of our fellow Velocity pilots was conferring with me 10 minutes ago, and mentioned that he had a mechanic replace his DOT 5 with standard, red, hydraulic fluid. I know on the reflector over the last 7 years we have discussed this and it was always regarded as the worst possible thing to do. The two fluids are incompatible and curdle or something as I recall. In his situation, he has the Cleveland brakes and the original Japanese Automotive master cylinders. The mechanic, when installing the new fluid just bled out the DOT 5 by pushing it out with the new fluid.

Our fellow Velocity pilot, of course, needs to pick someone up this weekend and is considering his options.

1. Is the compatibility so critical that the worst case might be the master cylinder will lock up and hence, lock the brakes?

2. Is the compatibility so critical that the "O" ring in the master cylinder passes fluid around it and hence, there is no braking?

3. Is the compatibility problem an old wives tale and hence, not a problem?

If anyone has experience with this please enlighten us.

Christopher Martin
christophercmartin at earthlink.net