REFLECTOR: Re: Glide tests

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Wed May 11 00:01:15 CDT 2005

At 07:00 PM 5/10/05, you wrote:
>That's pretty good.  My technique will be to get up to 9k or 10k close to
>the airport, shut it down and log my sink rate.  Light it off at 1000 or
>2000, climb out and try it at a different speed.  Armed with that data, I
>can come up with a power setting with the belly board down that will give
>me the same sink rates at the same airspeeds.  I figure that engine out
>means pretty much engine out.  Idle power makes a significant difference
>in glide range and when I DO have an engine failure, I want good
>data.

1) Sorry to bring it up, but windmilling vrs stopped prop makes an amazing
difference in glide.  I've tried it. (sorry)

2) Engine dead (windmilling OR stopped) vrs idle will make a significant
difference in how the plane handles.  Ailerons are less effective.  It's
not hard to handle, just surprising.  Be ready for it.

3) Do the restart at 3k.  Be prepared for it to fail, and be ready to land
deadstick.  (If you're ready for it, it will restart fine.  One of the
basic laws of the universe)