REFLECTOR: Glide tests

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon May 9 15:12:36 CDT 2005

I ran some glide tests on my 173 Elite RG with Catto climb prop (66" dia x70) last week.

I flew 10 miles away from an airport, climbed to 6500 feet, turned around and slowed to 90 kias with engine idling (1040 rpm).  In 6:27 minutes, I was over the airport at 2700 feet.  This equates to 16:1 glide ratio, 93 kias average speed, and 590 FPM.  Not bad.  I was flying solo, total weight was 1900 lbs. The return trip in the other direction was slightly lower at 15.2:1.   As I understand it, best glide speed for a Velocity is 90-100 kias.

RV's on the other hand, do about 12:1

(oh and lets not get into a big discussion on prop stopped versus wind milling.  If you want to see that discussion. go to last week's RV list).

Ronnie