REFLECTOR: Re: Electric Fuel Pump Location

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 04:14:46 CDT 2005

Keith,

As you said, I don't the thought of leaking fuel in
the cabin but the thought of leaking fuel in the
engine compartment is even worse! I looked at it the
same as the sump tank: do you want the sump on the
engine or cabin side of the firewall? If you put it on
the engine side you'd have to fire proof the heck out
of it - same goes for the electric fuel pump. If
there's a fire in the engine compartment, the cabin
side of the firewall offers reasonable protection for
them. I'm using the Airflow Performance pump and
filter. This pump has a recirculation line (just for
the pump itself). I've also got my fuel shutoff valve
just downstream of the sump. Here's a link to my
installation:

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/?dir=airframe_construction%2Fsump_tank%2Fretract_gear

Pat

--- KeithHallsten <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com> wrote:
> Pat,
> I note that you have your electric fuel pump on the
> cabin side of the
> firewall.  I am considering a similar location for
> the XL I'm building.  Any
> "plus" or "minus" considerations to note on this?
> Thanks,
> Keith Hallsten

Yahoo! Mail