REFLECTOR: Re: Fuel Pump Cooling

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Mon May 9 22:42:14 CDT 2005

My understanding of electric aircraft (or high perf automotive) fuel pumps
is that they are designed to be cooled by the fuel circulating thru them.
Modern fuel injection systems have a pressure relief valve (prv) that is
overcome by the electric pump pressure so that cool fuel is recirculated
thru the pump and back to the tank. This is how my system is setup, and my
pump is also on the lower engine firewall. The mechanical pump puts out
about 25 psi, but when you turn on the electric the prv hold the pressure at
30 psi. Some people install a fuel return line and manual valve at the fuel
distributor (spider) particularly when it is located above the engine to
recirculate cool fuel to this vapor lock prone area. It works well for hot
starts.

Personally, I wanted both of fuel pumps inside the engine compartment such
that a fire or explosion from a leak would not be in the passenger area.

Chuck H