REFLECTOR: WEIRD STICK PROBLEMS

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Mon May 9 18:37:57 CDT 2005

I thought my plane was rigged wrong ... or that I had a heavy wing ...
but NOT so.

Please read the background and give me your thoughts:

My plane has a tendency to turn to the right (ball in center) but the
right wing drops a lot!

The incidence is fine ... the rigging is fine ... I even put a trim tab
on the right wing ... and adjust it severely "up" to lift the wing.  It
did NOTHING to help.

My conclusion, after many hours of flying is that the stick itself (in
the plane) has a weird pressure on it when under an air "load",  The
stick wants to snap to the right (meaning the bottom of the stick snaps
or pulls to the left).

Something strange is going on.  The tendency begins when ground rolling
and gets worse with speed!

Why?  I don't know!

Is it in the design ... the way the elevator push-pull rod attaches to
the stick?

Does air movement over the elevator somehow put side pressure on the
stick?

I am baffled.

Any ideas?

Tom Martino