REFLECTOR: To DOT 5 or NOT? Matco Wheel Brakes and leaking cylinders...

Gary T. Ciampa gciampa at nc.rr.com
Sun May 8 21:52:12 CDT 2005

All,

I had someone tell me that the DOT 5 brake fluid recommended by the
Velocity is not compatible with aircraft o-rings and that I should be
using aviation brake fluid. I also read yesterday that the Matco folks
indicated that DOT 5 should not be used?

So: To "DOT 5" or NOT?

The reference in the MATCO documentation is on page 28 of this document:
http://www.carttonic.com/files/file_download.php?fi_id=15653

Chapter 8 of the KPC calls for DOT 5 fluid:
http://www.velocityaircraft.com/manuals/08_GGF.PDF, section 8.1.2.

Thanks.....The reason for asking is that I had a leaking piston/cylinder
on the brakes in December and I replaced all the piston o-rings. The
problem surfaced again this weekend.

Hard to taxi with only left main wheel brakes..... <G>