REFLECTOR: Glass weave filling??

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat May 7 00:30:36 CDT 2005

Hi All,

I was wondering what techniques folks are using for filling the glass weave
prior to finishing.

Kevin;

Here's an opinion - having completed all filling and sanding, and trying
different options; my opinion is still that alpha-poxy and micro balloons is
hard to beat; considering strength, flexibility, ease of sanding, and proven
longevity.  West system is probably right there with it - I have little
experience with that.

Mix the alphpoxy well before adding to the microballoons.  Mix to about the
consistency of thick peanut butter; holds a good peak.  You can tell when
you are getting close to the right mix as it loses it's sheen.  Drier sands
more easily, but is also weaker.  For a first thicker coat a bit drier,
final (thin) finish just a tad more fluid. For good adherence, wipe the
surface with alphapoxy on a folded pad of cloth to put a VERY thin coat of
epoxy on the surface.  It makes the mix stick rather than want to roll off.

Super-fil is tougher to get thorough mixing because two thick compments, and
I found the cured product to be less flexible.  Poor mixing makes for
serious problems later (maybe you've heard the brown goo stories).

Have fun.

Al