REFLECTOR: Deltahawk engine

Grigore Rosu grosu at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri May 6 01:42:06 CDT 2005

Warm thanks to those who expressed their opinion on the DH engines:
(in chronological order of answering) Andy Millin, J.P. Brooks, Douglas
Holub, Al Gietzen, Tom Martino, Dean May.  It was a very pleasant first
day on the REFLECTOR discussion list.

Please let me tell you a bit more about my plans regarding my
Velocity-to-be.  Any piece of advice is more than welcome,
including/especially criticisms!

I intend to use a constant speed propeller, more precisely to order the DH
engine kit promissed by Velocity, Inc.

I have little knowledge of mechanics or engines (I'm a computer science
professor), so simplicity of engine matters to me.  The fact that DH has
fewer moving components, no carburator or fuel leaning, no sparks, etc.,
sounds very attractive to me.

I'm interested in flying long trips with my family (2 adults plus 1
child).  Speed is NOT the most important factor; what I care is
reliability, endurance and efficiency.  I'd like to also fly at least one
trip USA-Europe per year.

Does anybody know which of the 160, 180 and 200 models can fly the longest
distance on a given amount of fuel, at its normal cruising speed?

I understand the the only "drawback", if we can call it so, of a 200 model
is the intercooler, which may slightly complicate the installation.  Can
anybody think of any drawback of the 180 model in contrast to the 160 one?
TBO? (let's ignore the price and assume a constant speed propeller)  I'm
not decided which of the DH engines to pick, so I'd like to understand all
the factors before choosing one.

Also, another important issue: insurance!  Everything else being equal, is
the insurance for a Velocity with a DH engine any higher than for one with
a Lycoming?  Also, it seems that Deltahawk will soon certify their engine.
My dumb guess is that they will first certify the 160 model, in which case
the insurance of a Velocity with DH160 may be lower ... Any thoughts on
that?

Anticipated thanks,
Grigore

p.s. I hope I'm not asking too many questions for a new comer ...