REFLECTOR: Deltahawk engine

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu May 5 18:27:14 CDT 2005

In my opinion there is no "best" 300-hp engine for the Velocity SE ... well, maybe the Rolls 250-B17, but that's a topic for another day.  Those Velocity builders who have "stuffed" a larger IO-540 into their Velocity-173 can better testify to the huge amount of time - numerous airframe modifications - and difficulties dealing with limited space that this type of installation entails.  Having the extra horsepower is nice to have for those who operate from high altitude airports or from grass runways.  For most, the extra work is not worth the cost or effort.
Weight penalty - about 100 pounds when all is said and done using Lycosaurous technology; not sure when considering rotary power.
Cost - about $20K more than an IO-360 (engine and special propeller)
Time to build - add about 200-hours
Raw performance - for some, priceless; for others, not enough to offset the other drawbacks.
My thoughts.
Scott B.